Focus on Vadlo
Vadlo is a new search engine that's different in two ways:
- Vadlo is geared towards the vertical market -- and it only searches content related to biology research related information.
- Vadlo doesn't really look at just pages -- it indexes five categories of documentation -- these are Protocols, Online Tools, PowerPoints, Databases, and Software
I found their PowerPoint search quite amazing -- and asked the folks at Vadlo about their new search engine. While the Vadlo user-base is growing rapidly, the team at Vadlo is focused on developing the content. Here's a statement that the Vadlo Scientists sent to me to put up on the MedicinePPT site:
"We believe PowerPoint presentations are very useful tools -- more than they are recognized as such. A teacher preparing a lecture, an executive preparing for a business meeting, a clinician reporting a case study, or a scientist preparing for the departmental seminar can get a lot of angles on the subject matter by quickly looking at similar presentations and refine her/his own accordingly.
"The Vadlo index is built on the PowerPoints which have relevance to the following, everything else is filtered out.
- Biology Research - Organisms, Genes, Pathways, Mechanisms etc.
- Academia - Grants & Funding, Publication, Interviewing etc.
- Bioinformatics - Statistics, Software, Methods etc.
- Biology Education - College level Biology lectures, Biodiversity, Environment etc.
- Medical/Clinical - Diseases, Conditions, Case Studies, Intervention, Drugs etc.
- Library - Journals, Open-access, Peer-review, Literature databases etc.
- Biotech/Pharma Business - Technology transfer, Patents, Products, Clusters etc.
The Vadlo site also has a cool collection of medical cartoons that you can use in your PowerPoints freely.
April 2008 | August 2008 | April 2009 | November 2009 | December 2009 | March 2010 | April 2011 | May 2011 | June 2011 | July 2011 | August 2011 | September 2011 | October 2011 | November 2011 | December 2011 | January 2012 | February 2012 | March 2012 | April 2012 | May 2012 | June 2012 | July 2012 | October 2013 | November 2013 | December 2013 | January 2014 | February 2014 | March 2014 | April 2014 | May 2014 | June 2014 | July 2014 | August 2014 | September 2014 | October 2014 | November 2014 | December 2014 |